Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Will to Submission

On the off chance that someone would get the strange idea from my previous post that I have something against male singers with high pitched voices and a penchant for odd hand movements, I offer this counter-evidence:

Here is the sublime androgyny of Antony Hegarty interpreting Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will". Leonard's song is a celebration and embodiment of the total submission to the will of the Other which a man may have to embrace once in a life time. Antony is in some ways that embodiment of the Other which we rarely have a chance to encounter in real life. We are all enriched by the art of both these individuals who give new meaning to the postmodern sublime in their rags of light...



If it be your will
That I speak no more
And my voice be still
As it was before
I will speak no more
I shall abide until I am spoken for
If it be your will

No comments: